Thursday, March 19, 2009

JAMES JEAN'S FABLES RUN AND WHY HE RULES



James Jean has bid the Fables cover art realm goodbye with issue #81. This guy has straight up produced stunning artwork for the past bunch of years. He helps bump comicdom up a notch in the eyes of critics. Seriously, he can't be touched. Not only is his style super badass, but his compositions are extremely varied and mind-blowing. He is simply amazing.

I'm completely convinced, COMPLETELY, that if Mr. Jean hadn't done the covers for the initial run of Umbrella Academy and the Free Comic Book Day issue, that the series would have died outright. I know I was drawn to it immediately by the cover, but turned off by the interior art and especially the association of Gerard Way (go ahead, google his name and tell me you can hand money to that guy) and My Chemical Romance. (Ugh)

The new cover artist for Fables is one Jao Ruas, and from what I've seen (minus Fables 82) he has the chops to produce equally quirky art for the series. He's got a bright color palette that'll help Fables continue to visually jump off the rack at your local store. But, he's got a tough road ahead in the eyes of Fables fans!

I've slapped a gallery of covers I scrounged off the internets in the box above for ya to check out. If you gots time, then hit:


And check out his weirdo website. If you click images, new ones appear. Lots of neat shots of his studio and finished paintings on the actual canvas.

4 comments:

  1. Also check out http://www.processrecess.com/ - his blog, to keep up to date on what he's doing. He updates pretty regularly. Very talented, nice guy who will email you back if you have questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude's the real deal. Fast, talented, asian. I'll miss him on Fables. But he has his fingers in all sorts of shit. Clothes, shoes, prints. Probably go on do bigger and better stuffs.

    Of course, his blog is blocked by our genius websense here at work because of "nudity". But I can look at all the scat I want!

    Stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lobot good lookin' out on the link, his blog is most crucial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh. I try Mr. Murphy. If you ever have any questions about Mr. Jean's process, he'll answer them. A very nice guy.

    ReplyDelete